Exercise Routines That Take Less Than 20 Minutes
Finding the time to exercise is always a huge challenge. Work and home responsibilities fill our days, leaving no extra time. Exercise routines often fall to the wayside and this has a negative impact on your overall health. So does a shorter exercise offer health benefits? Research says yes.
“Gone are the days when we thought you had to live on a piece of fitness equipment for an hour to really see results,” says Dr. Pam Peeke, spokesperson for the American College of Sports Medicine. “We’ve discovered in the past decade or so that you can get a heck of a great workout — and even lose body fat more effectively — by decreasing exercise time and increasing intensity.”
8 Ways to Exercise in 20 Minutes or Less
1. Denise Austin’s Ultimate Fat Burn Workout
Denise Austin is one of the most popular fitness instructors who has maintained longevity in the industry. This fat burn workout incorporates sports drills, aerobics, kickboxing and abdominal sculpting into less than 20 minutes.
2. Yoga XPress in Less Than 20 Minutes
Alex Curtis offers a Zen experience through Yoga in less than 20 minutes. This practice includes several poses including Cow/Cat, child’s pose, down dog, rag doll and more. Doing yoga is proven to reduce stress and improve your mood. Adding these poses to your day is sure to make you feel better.
3. Body Building in Less than 20 minutes
Body building activities help to build strength and stamina. Arms, legs, shoulders, chest, backs and legs can all be targeted in these short workout routines. Lack of time is no excuse not to rotate through these strength activities.
4. Eight-Minute Ab Exercises
Improving core fitness can help with balance and overall fitness level. These 8 minute ab exercises target the different abdominal muscles, including the transverse abs, obliques and lower abs.
5. Pilates in Less Than 20 Minutes
Speaking of your core, Pilates is a great way to improve your core strength. Taking your time to work on form is important in executing Pilates poses and exercises. The 20-minute timeframe can give you enough of a workout to train your core over time.
Want to be more productive?
Learn how to be more with Productivity Theory's weekly newsletter!
Join 2,000 other subscribers now!
6. The 10 Minute HIIT Workout
The 10 minute HIIT workout allows you to work up a sweat and still have time to spare. This HIIT workout incorporates boxing and jabbing into cardio activity. Once you master the 10 minute version, you can work your way up to the 20 minute workout. Remember to stretch! Pulled muscles can keep you from future workouts.
7. Ride Your Bike
Bike riding is a low impact cardio activity that gives your heart rate a rise and warms your muscles. Riding a bike for 20 minutes at 10 miles per hour can burn up to 90 calories. Riding your bike 20 minutes for three days can burn an extra 270 calories in your week.
8. Walking in Less Than 20 Minutes
Walking workouts offer low impact fat busters that you can do during your workday. The 15-minute and 20-minute walking workouts can fit into your lunch break or walk to work. Spend the first two minutes warming up and then kick your pace for about 15 minutes and then spend the last few minutes cooling down.
Finding time to exercise is important in improving and maintaining your health. These 20-minute tidbits of activity offer great opportunities to engage in physical activity. You can change up your routine adding both strength and cardiovascular activity. With less than 20 minutes, you can find the time.
If you enjoyed this post, you’ll also like these:
- How To Increase Motivation Mid-Workout
- What is Overthinking Disorder, and Do I Have It?
- 6 Signs Someone You Know Has a Con Artist Personality
- Fitbit Badge List vs. the Apple Watch Achievement List
- How to Calm Someone Down When They’re Angry
- How to Induce Lucid Dreaming, for Beginners
- How to Let Things Go That Bother You
- How to Be Less Sensitive to Criticism
- 8 Small Ways to Make Yourself Feel Better When Life Is Hard
- Identifying and Overcoming Codependency in Your Relationship
Latest posts by Kayla Matthews (see all)
- How To Lower Adrenaline In 5 Easy Steps - August 12, 2019
- 5 Ways to Stay Productive During the Summer - August 9, 2019
- How to Live a Meaningful Life When You Feel Purposeless - August 7, 2019