When It’s Time to Ask for A Promotion
It has been a few years working for the same company and the manager understands the value you bring to the team. The long hours of overtime and strategic ideas that have helped the organization grow is recognized by management, but an opportunity to advance in your career was not introduced by the manager.
There is a small percentage of employees that master the art of furthering their career in a short period of time. Most importantly, they strategically make their move at the right time of their career.
Is it time to ask for a promotion? If your New Years resolution was to land a promotion this year, here are a few tips to help you successfully land the job you deserve.
You Paid Your Dues
According to recent human resources stats, 91% of employers prefer their candidates to have work experience, and 65% of them prefer their candidates to have relevant work experience.” I recommend using valid examples of work experience and relevant experience to the manager to show your worth to the organization in a better position.
For example, if you are an accountant, describe the total value of client’s portfolio’s you manage. You can include the percentage of tax deductions you have helped business clients gain.
The art of describing how you can add value in a new role makes it easier for a manager to discuss an opportunity for advancement with human resources.
Your Value has Increased
Most of us believe we are the most valuable employee at work. The reality is most people work hard, arrive to work on time and have a pleasing personality. It is important to know if now is the time to ask. Here are a few questions to help you:
- Do I participate in workplace committees?
- Have I been at the company for at least 2 years?
- What makes me stand out from my colleagues?
- What operational improvement initiatives did I invent?
- Do I work well with all members of the team?
- How have I helped my manager to reducer his/her workload?
Get the latest productivity tips sent to your inbox!
Having someone there to continually motivate and encourage you is half the battle. We got you.
There are salary calculators online that can display the average salary for a person in your field. Imagine a manager accepts the meeting to discuss a promotion and salary expectations are under the industry rate the company can afford to pay. It will make you appear unprepared and if you accept a lower rate, you can potentially be paid less than your worth.
Always remember to do research and create a plan for items to discuss in the meeting.
Timing is Everything
If the company recently had to downsize employees, or cutbacks were announced in the New Year to reduce expenses, it is a good idea to wait until it recovers.
Another point to consider is if you noticed other colleagues on the team were recently promoted. Chances are the manager will ask you to wait until new hires are replaced to avoid work productivity being impacted.
Connect with Human Resources
I have a friend that recently found out the salary expectations of her job increased. She approached her boss and was denied the opportunity to receive a raise. She decided to speak with human resources and she will be receiving a raise because she built a case with documentation to prove her salary was below industry standard.
A deserving employee can connect with human resources by taking them out for lunch for networking or approaching them for small talk at an on-site event. It is important to be noticed by human resources because they can vouch for your opportunity to receive a promotion.
If you enjoyed this post, you’ll also like these:
- The Negative Effects of Working Too Much
- Why You Aren’t As Productive As You Think You Are During Work Hours (& How To Change This)
- What to Do in Life: 4 Career Ideas for Indecisive People
- Absence of Motivation: 10 Unique Ways to Get Your Butt in Gear
- List of Professional Goals That Anyone Can Use
- 7 Work Habits to Improve Your Career
- Can’t Focus? Try These Productivity Hacks to Improve Your Concentration
- Practical Steps Recent College Graduates Can Take to Secure Their Financial Future
- 10 Productivity Chrome Extensions To Help You Get Things Done
- What Is the Productivity Paradox and How Do We Solve It?